Friday, February 22, 2013

Renee's Quilt

My cousin and his wife have the cutest little girl who is about the same age as my little girl. I wanted to make her something special for her birthday in July... and then we moved 12 hours away to an apartment that lost power for 5 days the night we moved in thanks to a freak storm, and I just forgot.

Fast forward a few months and I took up quilting and decided to make her a toddler quilt for a veeeery late birthday present and an early Christmas present. I had some fun scraps and thought I'd try piecing them together into workable squares. And then I found out after finishing the quilt that there's a name for this.

*Disclaimer: it was dark and raining and I had a dying camera. These pictures are terrible.

But I finally did get a free motion foot and tried out some crazy squigglies on this and had such fun. My toddler did exactly what I hoped Renee would when she saw the quilt: crawled on it and picked out all of the animals, fruits, plants, and nursery rhymes on the quilt. It's backed in denim with one simple stripe of random girly fabrics.









2 comments:

  1. So wait - what's the name for it??? (the art of piecing together scraps, I mean...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. string boxes! they were sooo much fun and forgiving to make. awesome use of stuff that'd otherwise get pitched. START QUILTING, AUDRA! Dooooooo it!

      Delete