Thursday, February 28, 2013

Colorcentric - Quilt #5

December was a hard month for us. A really hard month. And it was my first month experiencing real winter. So, a couple of weeks before Christmas, I  decided that I needed a bit of a distraction and my husband needed a good present. He'd jokingly mentioned that everyone has gotten a quilt but himself, so I knew I what I had to do.

I wanted to keep this quilt a surprise, so that meant really working hard during my daughter's nap time and then putting everything away before he got home at night. The piecing of the quilt was super fun because it was like a big puzzle, trying to fit the pieces together.


But the quilting was a nightmare. I wanted to do concentric squares and rectangles, but just a few scattered throughout. The only problem was that after I quilted a handful of them, I knew I had to repeat it over the entire quilt because it looked so great. But I don't have a long arm machine, so mashing and pulling the quilt in and out of my little machine was exhausting. 


But totally worth it. 


 Since the front was so busy, I did broad stripes in leftover colors on the back to show off the quilting.

I was thrilled with how it turned out and so was my husband, so I thought the chapter was closed on a happy quilty Christmas until I got an email asking if this quilt could be included on the new Modern Quilt Guild website. After I picked my jaw up off the ground, I replied and anxiously awaited the new website's debut. And then, one morning, I saw it: http://themodernquiltguild.com/portfolio.

No comments:

Post a Comment