Friday, February 22, 2013

Aunt Susan's Quilt

So, looking back on this, I made four quilts in four months. And that's insane. But I guess that's what happens when you move to a new city and know like 6 people. Anyway, this is quilt #3. I decided to make a nice big lap quilt for my aunt's birthday and for Christmas. I knew she'd prefer a more traditional look, and I'd been wanting to try a more traditional kind of pattern anyway, so I decided to give granny squares a shot. I picked out Lida Enche's Painted Summer because she had a hydrangea print, which is a flower that I know my aunt loves. The nice ladies at Pink Chalk paired it with Michael Miller Geranium, and I did the binding in a coordinating yellow.


Free motion quilting experiment #2

2 comments:

  1. OK, so, I have to know: are you using a regular old sewing machine to do this? I know you said in R's post that you don't have a long-arm machine. I have always imagined that doing freeform quilting on a regular sewing machine would be a nightmare.... but apparently not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! Just a regular machine. It's not a huge nightmare, but it's a WORK OUT. My arms and back always hurt after quilting a big one since it has to be pushed and pulled and held at bizarre angles. But you can do it! :-) I'll bet there's an MQG near you, too!!!

      Delete