Friday, May 10, 2013

Little Stella's Quilt

I recently found out about this little 18 month old girl's fight with cancer through a mutual friend that I share with her mother. I haven't been able to get her out of my head and wanted to do something for her. My 2 1/2 year old loves her special quilt, so I asked my Modern Quilt Guild if they'd be interested in helping me make a quilt for Stella. We had about a week before the next meeting, so I wasn't expecting much... but they came with enough squares for two sides of a quilt with some left over!

I did the palest purples, pinks, and yellows on the front. There are lots of fun patterns for Stella to look at with various animals, nursery rhymes, and flowers. The binding is purple with little bunnies and flowers. Sorry about the dark pictures - I shot early in the morning before my coffee and forgot to adjust my shutter.


The back has the more vibrant colors.


This special square on the back was made by my friend Hayley. I used it to write a message for Stella so she'd know about the wonderful people from Baltimore and DC who lovingly pieced these beautiful squares together.

"For Stella
With love and prayers-
The Baltimore and DC Modern Quilt Guilds"

I settled on a fun and girly free-form swirly quilting design that makes the quilt feel even quiltier and so soft.


I just mailed this to Stella and her family today and can't wait for her to have. it. I hope she enjoys it as much as I enjoyed making it for her.

Here's Stella's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/stellafratt

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is so beautiful. You are a wonder for being so thoughtful and getting it made (and quilted amazingly) in 4 days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Anne. I am sure Stella will love it.

    ReplyDelete